OPEN CHANCEL CHOIR REHEARSAL
The Chancel Choir will host an open rehearsal this Thursday, January 10 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the choir room. This is a great opportunity to “come and see” the new and exciting things the Music Ministry at St. Michael’s is offering this spring. Join us for food, fellowship, and wonderful music! All are welcome!
Cathedral Choir Rehearsal
St. Michael’s children’s choir, the Cathedral Choir, will resume rehearsals this Sunday, December 13, immediately following the 10 a.m. service. All treble voices in grades 1 through 8 are invited to attend. This is a community music education program and all students from around the Milton area are invited and encouraged to attend.
Women of St. Michael’s Book Group – Friday, January 11 at 7 p.m.
The group will be meeting at 56 Morton Road to discuss Dr. Eben Alexander’s New York Times best seller, Proof of Heaven. His book, about his near death experience, is an incredible read!
Introduction to the Book of Common Prayer – Sunday, January 13 at 11:30 a.m. (upper parish hall)
What is this little red book we seem always to turn to, as Episcopalians, in our services – whether Eucharist, Baptism, Weddings, Funerals, Morning Prayer – and seem always to receive at Confirmation?
Karen and Hall will offer a brief overview of the history of the Book of Common Prayer, and talk about Thomas Cranmer (who wrote most of it), all in the context of the English Reformation (a historical bit) and the emergence of the Book in America. We will then help navigate a tour into its less-familiar parts (a Google maps bit), enabling discovery and – hopefully – a new-found admiration for a remarkable literary and sacramental document. 1 hour.
CONFIRMATION CLASS – CITYREACH CLOTHING DRIVE!
On January 25 and 26 our Confirmation Class will attend “CityReach,” a lock-in experience at the Cathedral Church of St Paul organized by Ecclesia Ministries (the organization that runs common cathedral).
CityReach gives young people and adults a chance to learn about homelessness from people who have experienced it, and may be still experiencing it. At CityReach our Confirmands will participate in ministry with poor and homeless people by offering hospitality, food, and clothing to guests on Saturday morning inside the church, and/or outside in downtown Boston as a street outreach team. This promises to be a formative experience for everyone involved from St. Michaels.
Including YOU, because we will be collecting items in preparation for our outing! Please consider donating any of the following (clothing folded, pre-sorted, and in plastic bags if possible), to be placed in the corner wooden box in the Upper Parish Hall :
New or Used Items
- Any carrying cases, such as backpacks, tote bags, fanny packs, small suitcases with wheels (used and in good condition),
- Travel-size toiletries, such as soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, Chapstick, toothpaste, and shaving cream in small sizes, as well as tooth brushes and disposable razors, and tampons in small quantities for the 20% or so women (please no aftershave or mouthwash containing alcohol),
- New white socks (there can never be too many of these),
- New underwear (again, there can never be too many, and 80% of the clients are men),
- Sleeping bags & blankets (clean and in good condition),
Rugged, used clothing (all sizes, but XL – XXXL are very much in demand), including:
- Warm coats
- Sweat shirts and sweat pants (especially hooded sweatshirts)
- Long-sleeve shirts
- Jeans, khakis and other casual pants (again, 80% of clients are men)
- Waterproof boots, comfortable shoes, and sneakers
- Hats, waterproof gloves, coats
Thank you! Hall, Karen, Jennifer, and the 2013 Confirmation Class